You are here
Town planners are involved in shaping our towns, cities and rural areas. They prepare long-term plans, make proposals for new developments and examine the proposals of others.
- visiting sites to assess the effects of developments
- collecting information and writing reports
- analysing data and preparing policies
- advising councillors and other decision-makers
- negotiating between groups with different interests.
- have good spoken and written communication skills
- be able to carry out research and analyse data
- be able to present proposals and deal with people who may be upset about planning decisions
- have a good understanding of maps and plan
- be confident using IT
- have a strong interest in the built and natural environment.