You are here

tax accountant career image

Tax Adviser

The Role

A career in tax has more possibilities than you might first imagine!

The Government raises the money that it needs to run our country both by taxing the money that individuals and businesses earn and by taxing the goods and services that we buy. In taking a holiday abroad, you will probably have paid VAT and Insurance Premium Tax before you even leave the airport!


If you have a job, your employer will collect tax from your salary before putting the balance in your bank account. If you are self employed, then you will have to keep records to work out your own tax (or perhaps use an adviser to do this for you).

A multi national group of companies is taxed differently on its activities around the world.

Some professionals will advise on policy for our tax system, others will write the tax law. Someone else will administer the collection of taxes for the government. Others will act for businesses of all types who have to pay these taxes. Marketing, IT, media and publishing all need tax specialists.


What ever your area of interest, a career in tax has something to offer you.

  • Corporate tax advisers make sure that their business clients aren’t paying more tax than they need to. Some of their duties may include filing tax returns on their clients’ behalf and helping them to fulfil other tax reporting obligations. Tax advisers can also have a major influence on the way a business is run, helping clients understand the implications of all their business dealings. Sometimes this advice and tax planning can make the difference between reporting an annual profit or loss. Finally, they give advice to businesses about changes in the tax system and tax laws that may impact them.
  • Personal tax involves giving personal tax advice to individuals. Some of these individuals may be private clients that have considerable assets. Often known as high-net worth individuals, these are very wealthy individuals, like entrepreneurs or people that have inherited considerable sums of money and assets and are looking for help to comply with current regulations and avoid paying more tax than they need to.

The complex and diverse nature of taxation means that tax professionals rapidly develop areas of specialist knowledge. The main areas of specialisation are corporate, personal, international, inheritance tax, VAT, National Insurance, and trusts and estates.


Entry Qualifications

  • If you are at least 16 years old and have a reasonable standard of English and mathematics to pass the examinations then you are able to apply to study for the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians) qualification
  • If you have passed the ATT examinations or have completed a professional accountancy or law qualification with any of the other professional bodies in the UK (ideally one which covers taxation in the syllabus), and you are able to apply to study for the CTA (Chartered Tax Adviser) qualification.

Professional Qualifications

The main professional qualifications are:

  • The Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) qualification. This offers the best start to anyone interested in starting or moving their career in tax and it automatically enables candidates to sit the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) examination.
  • Obtain a professional accountancy qualification with any of the professional accountancy bodies in the UK (ideally one which covers taxation in the syllabus), and then study for the CTA qualification.

Main Professional Tax bodies

The two UK taxation bodies are:


Salary Expectations

  • Starting salaries are usually between £19,000 and £25,000 a year.
  • Part-qualified tax advisers can earn £25,000 to £35,000.
  • Fully-qualified Chartered Tax Advisers may earn £35,000 to £50,000 a year.

Career Opportunities

You could work for an accountancy firm, a specialist tax consultancy, or a large company with its own in-house tax department. Opportunities are also available with banks, law firms and HM Revenue and Customs. You could move between these sectors during your career.

With experience, you could become a self-employed tax consultant or open your own consultancy business.


More Information

12 Upper Belgrave Street
Tel: 020 7235 9381


Association of Taxation Technicians

Artillery House

11-19 Artillery Row 
Tel: 020 7340 0551




Chartered Institute of Taxation

Artillery House

11-19 Artillery Row 
Tel: 020 7340 0550

Career and Course Articles: 

online magazines